Monsters by Electric President

Posted by Adonis | Posted in | Posted on 3:40 AM



Origin: Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Genre(s): Electronic, Indie pop
Years active: 2003-present

"I'm a monster...lol"

In through your window the sky will fall.
You'll trap the stars in jars and line them along your walls.
As the moonlight fills the veins beneath your skin,
You'll hear us knocking, oh, but you won't let us in.

Because you've got no friends,
And you've got no heartbeat.
Your insides are rotten now.
So there's nothing to fix.

But you said it often, before you were lost,
That it's only a day. That it's only a day.
But now you're a monster, and your backbone is soft.
Because you threw it away. Because you threw it away.

You called me out; I shrugged you off.
I don't have the time to watch you bash in all their skulls.
'cause there's a new boss in town, his heart is black, but his hands can reach through anything.
Stick your head in the ground. You might just dodge the guns.

But I'm not your friend.
And I will not fix you.
My insides are hollow now.
So you're all on your own.

But I said it often, before i was lost.
That it's only a day. That it's only a day.
But now I'm a monster, and my blood all runs cold.
Because I threw it away. Because I threw it away.

But now we've forgotten. And we've sold our blue skies.
But there's nothing to say. We'll be gone in a day.
And yeah, you can't take it with you. But I can sure as hell try.
Now there's nothing to say. I'll be gone in a day.

Comments (1)

(i always interpret songs differently than others.

but this is what i think this song is about:

it's a guy singing about somebody who used to be his friend before that person kind of shut out everyone from their life and started spending their days doing nothing.

"You'll hear us knocking, oh, but you won't let us in."

i don't think that person planned on spending their days doing nothing from the start, but after they started they became comfortable doing nothing and ended up wasting their life.

"But you said it often, before you were lost,
That it's only a day. That it's only a day."

"before you were lost" meaning before they locked themselves away from society. "it's only a day, it's only a day" meaning something like "i won't always be in this situation, i won't always waste my days, i'll change soon"


"But now you're a monster, and your backbone is soft."

the guy who is singing about this person thinks of this former friend as if they are dead now, because he never sees them anymore. a monster with a soft backbone, a dead person... yes, seems like that's what those two things imply. (even though that person is still alive, just not to anyone else but themselves, if you get what i'm saying. because they are so socially withdrawn.)

"Because you threw it away. Because you threw it away."

that person is a "dead monster" now because they threw their life away.


"Because you've got no friends,
And you've got no heartbeat.
Your insides are rotten now.
So there's nothing to fix."

the person eventually lost all of their friends after not seeing them for so long, and it has gotten so bad that there is no way to fix it.


"You called me out; I shrugged you off.
I don't have the time to watch you bash in all their skulls."

i think the guy singing must have gotten a few calls for help from the old friend, helping them to get their life back, but the guy ignored them because he didn't consider that person a friend anymore. he didn't have the time to deal with that person and their problems anymore.

"Stick your head in the ground. You might just dodge the guns."

that could mean, "keep doing nothing, stick your head in the grown, you'll be safer from the real world if you do nothing, you might just dodge the guns."

eventually, i think the guy who is singing starts hating that former friend, because the former friend pretty much gave up on their friendship when they locked themselves away from the real world.

"But I'm not your friend.
And I will not fix you.
My insides are hollow now.
So you're all on your own."

that's what that part is about.

"my insides are hollow now" meaning he does not feel any pity towards his old friend anymore, his heart is cold and doesn't know how to care anymore. hollow.

and years later, i think the guy who is singing eventually ends up like his former friend, locking himself away from society.

"But I said it often, before we were lost.
That it's only a day. That it's only a day.
But now I'm a monster, and my blood all runs cold.
Because I threw it away. Because I threw it away."

so now he is relating to this former friend.

and more years past, and both of them are still wasting their lives doing nothing, and they are both finally dying and there's nothing they can do about it. and there's no time to live the life they should have lived.

"But now we've forgotten. And we've sold our blue skies.
But there's nothing to say. We'll be gone in a day.
And yeah, you can't take it with you. But I can sure as hell try.
Now there's nothing to say. I'll be gone in a day. "

pretty sad. )

i just wanted to know why u think u're monster..so i found this..i think the lyric is kind of brilliant! and nice song:)